Directional Verbs

Fischer Susan susan.fischer at rit.edu
Sat Mar 28 04:18:56 UTC 2009

Especially for teaching purposes, you compare something new to
something you already know.  For most linguists, sign languages are
new vis-à-vis spoken languages.  But when I was teaching linguistics
to signers, I started with what they knew (ASL) and showed how spoken
languages could be analyzed using the same or similar tools. Here's an
example from my own student experience.  I was doing well in
linguistics but struggling with a course on logic and couldn't "get"
what the professor was trying to teach us.  A friend told me that what
the prof was trying to get us to do was like writing a grammar of
another language.  I immediately thought to myself "Gee, I can do
that," and the problem was easily solved.  So my friend took what I
knew (linguistics) and helped me use those tools to analyze a problem
in logic.
Susan D. Fischer
Susan.Fischer at rit.edu
drword563 (Skype)