Directional Verbs

Dan I. Slobin slobin at berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 28 04:20:28 UTC 2009

Thank you for thoughtfully responding, Partricia.
The whole field of linguistic typology is concerned with comparing
and contrasting languages, searching for both common tendencies and
divergences from those tendencies.  From such comparisons and
contrasts, typological linguists strive to identify sets, or types of languages
(such as dependent-marked vs. head-marked, verb-framed vs.
satellite-framed, inflectional vs. agglutinative vs. isolating).  There is no
distinction here between signed and spoken languages.  For example, I
have argued that ASL is verb-framed like the Romance and Semitic
languages and head-marking like Inuktitut and Mayan.  Linguists are
not concerned with "celibrating and embracing" particular languages,
but rather with figuring out how languages work--language in general
and particular languages.  In all of this, modality of the language is
irrelevant.

And, as Susan points out in the next reply to you, signed and spoken
languages perform the same sets of human communicative functions.
So I'm not sure what you mean by proposing "very different functions"
for signed and spoken languages.

Dan