Directional Verbs / signed vs. spoken languages

Fischer Susan susan.fischer at rit.edu
Sat Mar 28 15:52:30 UTC 2009

This might be valid if you are comparing signed languages to English,
but there are lots of spoken languages whose grammars bear striking
resemblances to things that we find in signed languages, and studying
those languages in comparison with different signed languages (they're
not all the same, you know) can provide interesting ways of looking at
signed languages.  True, the expression of a particular grammatical
form may be different due to the channel of communication, but that
simply attests to the flexibility of the human mind.  That said, I and
others have written that signed languages force us to face issues that
too often have been swept under the rug  in dealing with spoken
languages, such as variation and the importance of the discourse level
of grammar.  One of the reasons I study signed languages is the
insights and perspectives they provide about language as a human
cognitive phenomenon.

Susan Walker's contribution is right on the money.
SDF
Susan D. Fischer
Susan.Fischer at rit.edu
+1-858-952-3447 (mobile)