Directional Verbs / signed vs. spoken languages

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Sat Mar 28 17:54:36 UTC 2009

But even when considering the pronunciations of 'boy' in English with
some particular ASL utterance, depending on what your area of
linguistic focus may be, it may still be worth comparing such
seemingly disparate phenomena.

Consider someone who may be trying to understand the nature of
phonological assimilation, and what aspects of assimilation may be
articulator-dependent, and what aspects of assimilation are dependent
on other factors (e.g., various sorts of cognition, perception, etc.,
perhaps, even ideologies of articulation with respect to standardized
performance).  In this case, there are fruitful possibilities for
comparison.

Responding to the terminological suggestion regarding 'equivalent'
vs. 'comparable': again, the issue is what are we (as linguists)
trying to do and say?  At times it makes sense to compare very
different phenomena to highlight phenomena that might not otherwise
be apparent.  We compare similar and dissimilar sounds, we even
compare the levels of linguistic analysis (phonological,
morphological, syntactic, pragmatic) to see what those different
analytic levels may contribute to understanding an utterance or the
'nature of language' as a complex system of systems.

So long as we are mindful about when we are talking about things as
potentially analogous, rather than equivalent, or so long as we are
mindful about the nature of the comparisons, for example,
functionally equivalent with regard to X rather than perceptually
similar/distinct with regard to this surface-form manifestation, then
I think we'll do fine.  Some comparisons do have the potential to
distract or allow us to conflate or misrepresent phenomena, but
careful comparison is the heart of science.  Creative comparisons
open up new avenues of inquiry, if framed usefully.

Interesting (and fun) to see so much traffic on list over the last
few days....

-RJS

Richard J. Senghas, Professor            | Sonoma State University
Anthropology/Linguistics                 | 1801 East Cotati Avenue
Coordinator, Linguistics Program         | Rohnert Park, CA 94928-3609
Richard.Senghas[at]sonoma.edu            | 707-664-3920 (fax)