Sign languages taught in primary/elementary & secondary/high schools?

Beppie van den Bogaerde beppie.vandenbogaerde at HU.NL
Fri Apr 1 03:59:17 UTC 2011

Hi Adam, not in the netherlands, as far as I know.
There was a study years ago by Kyle for I think Eud, about status of sl's in EU, but that is quite old. You coups try Wasli and efsli, interpreters, perhaps they know?
Bye
Beppie

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 1 apr. 2011 om 05:14 heeft "Adam Schembri" <A.Schembri at LATROBE.EDU.AU<mailto:A.Schembri at LATROBE.EDU.AU>> het volgende geschreven:

A colleague is preparing a response to a recent Australian government paper on teaching languages other than English in primary and secondary schools here which lists a range of spoken languages as 'priority languages' for teaching, but does not list Auslan among those languages (a change from a former government language policy in which it was included as a 'prority language'). She asked me to ask colleagues on the SLLING-L: is/are your national sign language(s) taught to hearing children in primary/elementary and secondary/high schools in your country?
Does anyone know where my colleague can obtain information about sign language instruction in schools in other countries (NB: we are not looking for information about the use of sign language as a language of instruction in schools/units/programmes for deaf children)?
Thanks,
Adam
--
Associate Professor Adam Schembri
Director, National Institute for Deaf Studies and Sign Language