Sign languages taught in primary/elementary & secondary/high schools?

Alessandro Zucchi alessandro.zucchi at UNIMI.IT
Fri Apr 1 08:01:55 UTC 2011

In Italy, there is a grammar school in Cossato (near Biella in
Piedmont) where sign language is taught both to hearing and to deaf
children.

You can contact alessandra.battagin at gmail.com  (Alessandra Battagin)
for more info.

Ciao,

sandro

Il giorno 01/apr/11, alle ore 05:13, Adam Schembri ha scritto:

> A colleague is preparing a response to a recent Australian
> government paper on teaching languages other than English in primary
> and secondary schools here which lists a range of spoken languages
> as 'priority languages' for teaching, but does not list Auslan among
> those languages (a change from a former government language policy
> in which it was included as a 'prority language'). She asked me to
> ask colleagues on the SLLING-L: is/are your national sign
> language(s) taught to hearing children in primary/elementary and
> secondary/high schools in your country?
> Does anyone know where my colleague can obtain information about
> sign language instruction in schools in other countries (NB: we are
> not looking for information about the use of sign language as a
> language of instruction in schools/units/programmes for deaf
> children)?
> Thanks,
> Adam
> --
> Associate Professor Adam Schembri
> Director, National Institute for Deaf Studies and Sign Language
> La Trobe University | Melbourne (Bundoora) | Victoria |  3086 |
> Australia
> Tel: +61 3 9479 2887 | Fax: +61 3 9479 3074 | www.latrobe.edu.au/
> nids (under construction)

Alessandro Zucchi