Status of Sign Languages

Ulrike Zeshan uzeshan at UCLAN.AC.UK
Fri Apr 8 20:16:14 UTC 2011

Turkey: sign language was recognised as part of a disability-related law
in 2005
Indonesia: the government promotes a "sign system" rather than natural
sign language(s)
India: Rehabilitation Council of India now supports the use of sign
language in deaf education
Uganda: sign language is recognised in the Ugandan constitution
Jordan: a 2007 disability-related law includes sign language and sign
language interpreting

Prof. Ulrike Zeshan
Director, International Institute for Sign Languages and Deaf Studies
Livesey House, LH212
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR12HE, UK
uzeshan at uclan.ac.uk
Ph. +44-1772-893104
Fax +44-1772-894933

>>> "Barbara Gerner De Garcia" <barbara.gerner.de.garcia at GALLAUDET.EDU>
08/04/2011 17:22 >>>
I want to thank all who have replied so far. I actually found that
Boris Fridman has a page with some info, but it seems to need updating.
Not a criticism - as all of us are so busy, and I am guiltier than most
of not having all my t's crossed and i's dotted.

Anyone with information related to Asian or African countries?

Barbara