inclusive furtherance and education of deaf and hard-of-hearing people

Franz.Dotter at UNI-KLU.AC.AT Franz.Dotter at UNI-KLU.AC.AT
Mon Mar 14 09:27:52 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

As the discussion is just now also on ethical issues of linguists' work, I take the opportunity to send you the resolution "Necessary activities for the implementation of the concept of inclusive furtherance and education of people who declare themselves to be deaf or hard-of-hearing in the EU countries" (attached) on behalf of the EU project DEAFVOC 2. You may find it interesting as it concretises what has been done by the Brussels Declaration on Sign Languages in 2010 and widens the scope also to hard of hearing persons.

You will find several points in the resolution which relate directly to your interests and/or responsibilities.

We think that the resolution contains many actions which help to realise the UN convention on the rights of people with disabilities and which therefore should be included into the respective National Action Plans which are demeaded by the UN convention

We hope that this resolution contributes to improving the inclusion of deaf and hard of hearing persons in our societies.

We ask you kindly to spread this resolution within your organisation and country, especially to those persons who have political, administrative or education responsibilities in the area. We are very interested in feedback or reports on reactions to this resolution.

Best Regards

Franz Dotter

University of Klagenfurt
Center for Sign Language and Deaf Communication
Funded by: Provincial government of Carinthia, Bundessozialamt Kaernten
Head: Franz Dotter (hearing)
Collaborators: Elisabeth Bergmeister (deaf), Silke Bornholdt (deaf), Andrea Grilz (hearing, on maternity leave), Christian Hausch (deaf), Marlene Hilzensauer (hearing), Klaudia Krammer (hearing), Christine Kulterer (hearing), Anita Pirker (deaf), Nathalie Slavicek (hard of hearing), Natalie Unterberger (deaf)
Homepage: http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/zgh
Deaf server (in German): http://deaf.uni-klu.ac.at
Fax: ++43 (0)463 2700 2899
Phone: ++43 (0)463 2700 /2821 (Franz Dotter),/2823 (Marlene Hilzensauer), /2824 (Klaudia Krammer), /2829 (Christine Kulterer)
Email addresses: firstname.lastname at uni-klu.ac.at