please, confirm some observations

Eva Safar esafar at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 17 15:06:19 UTC 2011

Dear All,

within the DictaSign project (http://www.dictasign.eu/) we are aiming at some
grammatical rule formalisation in 4 SLs (for avatars)(Greek, French, British,
German SLs). We (at University of East Anglia) are being asked for comfirming
similarities  (or differences) for BSL regarding the contents below. The
observations are based on the French collected corpus. My BSL is not good enough
to judge, wether the following hold for BSL as well. So I would like to ask you
for just identify aspects that differ fundamentally between the languages.

Enumeration
A non-exhaustive list of elements, signed in sequence.
Observation
For each item of the enumeration, the head moves forward or sideways (not
necessarily similar way each time), accelerating or starting towards the end of
the time interval used to sign the item. This movement can be more or less
visible, but each item ends with a clear retraction of the head in the opposite
direction, starting at the end of the time interval.

Alternative constructions
An alternative construction is when different options of a choice are listed
sequentially, and the semantics is that either one (only) of the (usually few)
options is to be chosen or considered possible.
Observation
For each choice in the list, the base of the head or neck reaches a different
location towards the end of the time period used to sign the choice.
<R> We also often observed, but not always, that the choices are hand-located in
different locations, in which case the shoulders may even turn as well.
<R> Sometimes, but not always, the lexical sign [OR] is performed between two
choices---not necessarily between each pair in that case.
Rhetorical questions
Lexical wh-question signs that mean no question to the addressee and are
responded by the signer himself immediately after. Typically when [WHY?] would
be translated into English by “because” or [HOW?] into “by doing”.
Observation
Not enough material to verify this or to choose the right one if any, but it
seems one or both of the following rules applies.
	* a (somewhat slow) eye blink occurs in the beginning of the “rhetorical
answer”
	* the chin drops in the immediate beginning of the answer
Additional question: This category is hard to generalise or break down. It
definitely still “feels like” one... but is it? Do you have anything to support
either of the hypotheses above?
Unrelated weak hand persistence
This section is interested in the arrangement illustrated below, where a
two-handed sign S0 is performed, followed by one or more one-handed gestures
while the ending state of the other hand is held in place. We are only
considering those where the hands are “geometrically” unrelated, thereby
excluding things like pointing to the weak hand, classifier predicates, etc.
Those are clearly more iconic and may need to be dealt with very specifically.
Strong hand:	|__ S0 __| |__ 1-handed stuff __|
Weak hand:	|__ S0 ______ held from S0 ________
Observation
Two categories emerge. One (A) is when the one-handed stuff qualifies S0 like an
adjective would do or to name or identify it. The other (B) is when S0 is held
because it is needed after the one-handed stuff, sort of to keep it “active”.
<R> If one hand is fixed between two consecutive segmented signs, hands must be
interpreted separately and this rule is a candidate.
<R> If the end posture of S0 is re-established after some strong-hand signs,
trigger (B).
Examples: 1. sort of adjective, [LINE] held while [BLUE],
2.identification/naming, [PLACE] held while [EUROPE], 3.[CUT] held while
[MUSEUM], the limit of the interruption is re-used later

Regards,
Eva Safar

-------

Dr Eva Safar