Facebook

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Fri Sep 16 21:58:22 UTC 2011

I was recently made aware of someone who spent all their work time using Twitter, Facebook, and other social networking sites rather than doing any work for which they were being paid. When Internet access was taken away from them their mobile phone was increasingly seen on the desk whenever managers were around.

I was involved in the "forensic" investigation team setup to discover what commercial information they mave been leaked. Although there was none (in those Twitter feeds or Facebook walls that we found) a simple tally of the timing of posts demonstrated that the individual concerned had had no time to do any work ... it was all spent social networking!! Employment was synonymous with unlimited free Internet access.

As too numbers there were reports in today's Guardian newspaper here in the UK suggesting Facebook may have reached its zenith and numbers are beginning to fall.

Twitter and Facebook make interesting sources of textual communication for inclusion in corpora but as a selection criteria of suitable PhD students I would be very wary. But that's more a topic for discussion over on CORPORA-L than here.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!

Sent from my iPad