Sign language 'fieldwork'

Myriam Vermeerbergen mvermeer at MAC.COM
Thu Feb 2 08:03:34 UTC 2012

Dear Adam,
Dear Colleagues,

short response in between exam marking:

I did not think of myself as a field linguist until discussing my work (and how I collected my data) with Colette Craig a couple of years ago (maybe already ten years ago) . She pointed out that what I do was rather similar to what she and other "spoken language field linguists" do, only "your field is situated around the corner of the block" and it does not take me much travel to get to the community I work with. I agreed at that time and I still agree now.

Wishing you a nice day from a freezing cold Belgium,

Myriam Vermeerbergen