Sign language 'fieldwork'

Terry Janzen janzent at CC.UMANITOBA.CA
Thu Feb 2 18:12:20 UTC 2012

Dear all,

Very nicely put, Myriam. I too have long considered what I do as field work,
and in a rather exotic place too: Winnipeg! Really, what¹s the difference?
In my department I have had conversations with other linguists who believe
that where you conduct your field work is within the community of those
speakers or signers, no matter where they reside. Lots of other field work
goes on here in Manitoba on other languages as well, such as Cree and
Ojibwe, and field linguists don¹t always need to travel too far to do their
work either. So one location versus another is not a distinguishing feature
of this kind of work.

Cheers from mild not-very-winter-like Winnipeg,
Terry

--
Dr. Terry Janzen, Associate Professor and Department Head
Department of Linguistics

(204) 474-7081
janzent at cc.umanitoba.ca
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~janzent/