SW-HamNoSys

Mon Jul 2 23:27:50 UTC 2012

Hi Adam,

On 7/2/12 5:59 PM, Adam Schembri wrote:
> The number of unique signs in the German Sign Language (DGS) Dictionary
> caught my eye - that's a very high number compared to other collections.
The number of signs in SignPuddle does not have any lexical meaning; it
is a unique spelling calculation.  There are 4 types of spelling
variability with the Modern SignWriting encoding model.  Any spelling
variation is counted as a unique sign.

> we do have to be careful when comparing
> sign language dictionaries, glossaries and wordlists because the same
> approach to documenting and recording sign languages is not taken across
> all of them.
Very true.  The SignPuddle collections are mostly end user entered
without editorial oversight.  We do discuss spelling and improve some of
the signs, but each collection is a reflection of those who use
SignPuddle of their own free will.

Regards,
-Steve