SW-HamNoSys

Tue Jul 3 21:04:45 UTC 2012

Hello Adam and everyone  -

You are right there are a large number of signs in the German SignPuddles online… and I wanted you to know about this because it is remarkable work - but not necessarily what is needed for a linguistic database - each person who uses SignPuddle uses it for different purposes…The software and writing system is flexible and is being used privately for linguistic purposes as well...

The German Sign Language (DGS) Dictionary in SignPuddle online is written (almost entirely) by one dedicated teacher, Stefan Woehrmann, specifically for one purpose - to teach literacy to his Deaf students at the Osnabruck School for the Deaf in Osnabruck, Germany. Stefan has enhanced his student's educations, by teaching them language in a new remarkable way, and his SignPuddle database has been a big part of his work. Stefan needs to keep his database the way he has it, for specific reasons for education translations. So the database is not based on linguistics, but was developed for educational and translation purposes.

To create a SignPuddle database that is specific to the definitions and rules of the linguistics professions certainly can be done by anyone who wishes to do so… but I think it needs to start from scratch, building the data for your specific criteria - a blank, new empty SignPuddle database can be provided for anyone who needs it, to start your own projects…and then signs from different databases can be brought into the new database based on your specific rules and needs.

Steve Slevinski, Adam Frost and I are a team. We are here to help with this, for any one who wishes to create your own databases using SignPuddle and the SignWriting script.

Three side notes:

1. Now, there is new software from the University of Hamburg and C1 WPS Workplace Solutions, called DELEGS, that coordinates with the SignPuddle DGS dictionary, Stefan and other teachers of Deaf students in Germany, can create documents that translate spoken language textbooks, into written sign language, so their students can understand both languages better and can grasp the content of the textbooks. So the German SignPuddles online are geared towards Deaf Education, and are used with this software:

DELEGS
http://www.delegs.com/delegseditor/

DELEGS stands for "German Learning with SignWriting" but in German of course…I believe it is "Deutsch lernen mit GebaerdenSchrift" (Stefan and others, please correct me if I am wrong ;-))

Anyway - that specific database is impressive for its educational purpose…

THANK YOU, to all of you, who have created DELEGS…and thank you to Stefan Woehrmann for making this possible

--------

2. Dr. Penny Boyes Braem, who started this thread, and who is developing a new database that will work with both HamNoSys and SignWriting, has used SignWriting for years in other projects…more related to Deaf Education and writing German-Swiss Sign Language for daily use by signing populations

----

3. There is a new linguistic database that will be using SignWriting now, that has recently received funding from the NSF through the University of Connecticut (UCONN), called SignTyp, directed by Dr. Harry van der Hulst and Dr. Rachel Channon. The new SignTyp project will be using SignPuddle and the SignWriting script to transcribe sign language videos from 15 countries…the project is just getting started and I will inform you about this linguistic use of SignWriting in the future...

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
sutton at signwriting.org

---------