Call for ASL Writers for the ASL Wikipedia

Thu Sep 20 16:13:17 UTC 2012

September 20, 2012

CALL FOR ASL WRITERS FOR THE ASL WIKIPEDIA

Want to write an article for the new ASL Wikipedia?

HOW?

1. Go to the English Wikipedia and choose an article you wish to translate into ASL:

English Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org

2. Write your ASL translation of the English article in this SignPuddle:

ASL Encyclopedia Puddle
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=21

3. Just translate the first paragraph. You do not have to finish translating the entire article immediately.
(It can be finished later).

4. Write to Adam Frost, ASL Editor, to tell him when you are done with the first paragraph in SignWriting:

Adam Frost
ASL Editor, ASL Wikipedia
frost at signwriting.org

5. Adam will post the first paragraph in the ASL Wikipedia for you, to establish the article's name in the Wikipedia.

6. Then continue translating the article and inform Adam when you want him to post more.

Note: We are developing a SignWriting editor that will be installed into the ASL Wikipedia project, at a later date, so that writers can write directly in the ASL Wikipedia in SignWriting, without having to use SignPuddle. This will be more direct and much better and we all are eagerly awaiting this new software…but until it is ready, we are writing in SignPuddle and then Adam posts the articles. It is our way to get started writing articles, which are needed...

Write to us anytime with questions…

We need more articles, so I hope some of you will volunteer...

We can provide training in SignWriting and SignPuddle software, so do not hesitate to write to me about this…

We feel very blessed to be able to do this unusual and valuable project…

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
signwriting at mac.com
www.signwriting.org

ASL Wikipedia Project on Wikimedia Labs
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org

ASL articles are translations of articles in the English Wikipedia:

1. Charles-Michel de l'Epee
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Charles-Michel_de_l%27Epee

2. Laurent Clerc
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Laurent_Clerc