Idioms in Sign Languages

Adam Schembri A.Schembri at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 14 22:16:29 UTC 2013

The former idiom is perhaps the most widely cited example of an ASL idiom that fits the linguistic definition. In fact, it appears to have been translated into Auslan, and has a number of variations here, e.g., PRO-2 MISS TRAIN or simply X-P-T ('Express passenger train') etc.
Adam

From: Fischer Susan <susan.fischer at RIT.EDU<mailto:susan.fischer at RIT.EDU>>
Date: Friday, 15 March 2013 8:57
To: "SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU<mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>" <SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU<mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>>
Subject: Re: Idioms in Sign Languages

There are a few idioms in ASL, where I'm defining an idiom as an expression where the meaning is not derivable from the sum of its parts, but I don't know of anything formally written about them. A couple of examples:
TRAIN ZOOM (equivalent to "you missed the boat"; it's too late and I'm not going to repeat what I said)
PATIENT TOILET (I have to go to the bathroom)
ASL is not alone in having relatively few idioms; I remember someone saying that Greenlandic lacked them too.

Susan D. Fischer
Susan.Fischer at rit.edu<mailto:Susan.Fischer at rit.edu>

Visiting Scholar, NYU