[Slling-l] Dactylodyslexia

Woll, Bencie b.woll at UCL.AC.UK
Sun Dec 14 18:18:42 UTC 2014

Contact Dr Ros Herman at City University London who has a pair of research projects looking at dyslexia in deaf children  http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/reading-and-dyslexia-deaf-children

Bencie Woll FBA  BA, MA, PhD
Director, Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre UCL
49 Gordon Square
London WC1H 0PD
www.dcal.ucl.ac.uk
+44 20 7679 8670 (voice)
+44 20 7679 8691 (fax)
+44 20 7679 8693 (Minicom/TDD)
+44 792 024 7640 (Mobile)

-----Original Message-----
From: linguists interested in signed languages [mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Mike Morgan
Sent: 14 December 2014 15:16
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Dactylodyslexia

OK, let me divert everyone's attention from the cascade of greetings (which I might have played some part in starting as the original 2011 message seems to have popped up in my inbox last night marked as unread, and with only 30% screen visibility on my laptop I missed the original date and assumed it was a new posting.)

Although this is a Sign Language/Sign Linguistics list, I know a lot of us also have soem expertise and/or knowledge of related and tangential fields of study...

SO, is anyone out there aware of any studies on fingerspelling dyslexia? NOT an older Deaf who acquires language (signed and or
written) late and therefor has problems with spelling, but something analogous with dyslexia among hearing children?

And I guess, while we are on the topic, I am also unaware of anything on written language dyslexia among Deaf, so if any of you knows any research on this topic as well, it would be appreciated. (I am interested in any type of research at all, be it pedagogical and practical or neurological/cognitive.)

Thanks...

mwm || *U*C> || mike || мика || 戊流岸マイク
माईक || માઈક || মাঈক || மாஈக ||  مایک
(aka Dr Michael W Morgan)

sign language linguist / linguistic typologist

sign language instructor
PCRV, PC Guyana
Deaf Association of Guyana

Sign Language & Deaf Education adviser
National Federation of the Deaf, Nepal
Nepal Association of Sign Language Interpreters