[TEACHASL] Sign Language Family Map

Albert Bickford albert_bickford at SIL.ORG
Fri Feb 7 01:54:04 UTC 2014

I'm the primary research editor for sign languages for Ethnologue, so
let me add a couple comments.

We've held off making any fine-grained classification of sign languages
into families because we prefer to let the consensus of the field sort
things out before we say anything.  A while back, for example, someone
urged us to subdivide "Deaf sign language" into something on the order
of village and national sign languages, but there still is debate about
whether that's a reasonable way to do things or not, so for now we're
just keeping them together in one large group.

With regards to the comments within entries about what I'll call for the
moment "connections" between sign languages, we're taking a close look
at a lot of those.  Some of those comments were inserted solely on the
basis of some historical event (e.g. someone from one school visiting
another one early in its history), without actually looking at the
impact of that event on the language.  We're working on getting rid of
those, or clarifying that the comment is only about historical contact.
Certainly, if anyone knows of comments that are inaccurate, please let
me know.

Even when there are "connections" between sign languages, it remains an
open question whether to consider this an instance of genetic
relationship or borrowing.  One of the challenges in this area is that
when a sign language is transported from one country to another, there's
a good chance that it will creolize with home sign or other systems
already in the new country, and so it's not a clean case of ordinary
genetic descent.

Finally, although Ethnologue lists the 137 sign languages that are in
ISO 639-3, we've recently concluded that one of them most likely never
existed: Yiddish Sign Language [yds].  If anyone has evidence that it
really did exist as a separate language (and not a dialect of some other
sign language with added Jewish vocabulary), please let me know.

--Albert

Albert Bickford
SIL International
   Linguistic Services Coordinator, Global Sign Languages Team
   Director, SIL-UND

Please use different email addresses for different topics:
   sign languages: linguistic_services_gslt at sil.org
   SIL-UND: director_silund at sil.org
   other: albert_bickford at sil.org

late May through early August:
   2901 University Ave Stop 8217, Grand Forks ND 58202; 701-777-0575
mid-August through mid-May:
   16131 N. Vernon Dr., Tucson AZ 85739; 520-825-1229