bibliography on methodology: test with SL interpreters

Beppie van den Bogaerde beppie.vandenbogaerde at HU.NL
Thu Jul 24 18:05:10 UTC 2014

Hi Claudia,

I know this one article by Temple & Young, which is unfortunately not what you seek, but you might find something in their references:
http://qrj.sagepub.com/content/4/2/161

To my knowledge there is no research done re:this subject. You might find something in the literature on Mental Health and sl interpreting… where the interpreter and the psychiatrist also have to work very closely together and where the roles MUST be discussed thoroughly before therapy begins, also during and after.

For children it is completely different, as you say, but for adults (deaf adults who are used to interpreters) there might be no problems at all, depending on the thoroughness of investigator, interpreter and  deaf subjects.

I would be very interested to receive any references that others can provide, though.
Good luck!
Best regards
Beppie

Beppie van den Bogaerde / Prof. Of Deaf Studies – HU / Prof. Sign Language of the Netherlands – UvA / Gsm: +31650824110

Van: linguists interested in signed languages [mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] Namens Claudia S. Bianchini
Verzonden: 24 July 2014 17:23
Aan: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Onderwerp: bibliography on methodology: test with SL interpreters

Hello,
with a colleague (a computer scientist)  we are testing a new software for deaf people. Obviously our subjects are deaf adults so, with our hearing investigator, we had an SL interpreter (SLI). We are now writing a paper on the test, but the referee (a computer scientist who knows nothing about deaf people) asked us to clarify the respective role of the SLI and the investigator, and the difference between a SLI and a mediator ...
Now, in my head, everything is very clear! But I wondered if there were one or two bibliographic citations that we could add for supporting the idea that it is normal to have different roles and that it does not affect our test to have a professional SLI in the room with the investigator and the subject (whereas with children, I suppose, the presence of a third person must be more problematic because the child does not distinguish the roles so well, but this is another thing).
I hope my request (and my English) is not too much confused and that someone can help us.
Thanks a lot

Claudia S. Bianchini, PhD
MCF Licence SDL-LSF, Univ. Poitiers
claudia.savina.bianchini at univ-poitiers.fr<mailto:chiadu14 at gmail.comt>
Université de Poitiers - UFR Lettres et Langues (Bât. A3)
1 rue Raymond CANTEL - TSA 11102
86073 POITIERS CEDEX 9