[Slling-l] Numerical Incorporation for Age signs in ASL

Sarah Hafer sarah.hafer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 2 08:25:07 UTC 2015

Hello,

I understand that some publishings say the age signs in ASL where the numbers are
blended with the OLD sign for ASL are part of the numerical incorporation category. For
some reason, it just does not feel right to me that these should be classified as numberical
incorporation. I want to say it is because of some kind of phonological process such as
phonological reduction. Then i saw one website says these AGE signs in ASL are rather
'assimilation,' and that felt quite more right to me.

I am wondering what are your take on this? Any scientific publishing on how the AGE signs
in ASL are perhaps not numerical incorporation but rather something else?

Sarah