[Slling-l] On the Philly 'accent' in ASL

Peyton Todd peytontodd at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 5 18:57:11 UTC 2015

I was once told by a (hearing) instructor in an ASL class here in Atlanta, Georgia that I should be making the ASL sign SUNDAY in a certain way - I forgot whether he claimed that the fingers should be closed vs. open, and whether he claimed that the second movement of the sign should start at the same position near the chest or from a position somewhat lower (but it must have been the lower, or I would not have been struck by it). Skeptical of his claim, I asked a group of deaf signers here in Atlanta, all of whom know each other personally, how they would make the sign. Just in this small group of eight or so signers, I found ALL FOUR POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS of the two choices above. In this case, at least, individual differences surpass any dialectal effects. Unless, of course, I was merely viewing the range of possible variation within which each signer produces the sign.
Peyton Todd
      From: Adam Schembri <A.Schembri at LATROBE.EDU.AU>
 To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
 Sent: Friday, December 4, 2015 5:14 PM
 Subject: [SLLING-L] On the Philly 'accent' in ASL

 Hi everyone,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3345846/Sign-language-accent-Linguists-discover-variation-signing-seen-Philadephia.html
Just a head’s up about this: no surprises here, but the media reportsabout this are inaccurate.
My understanding is that the researchers in Philadelphia are undertakinga study to see if there is evidence in their corpus of a distinctivePhiladelphia ‘accent’ in American Sign Language (ASL) - they’ve not yetfound one, but there are anecdotal reports of one. The evidence for theexistence of regional ‘accents’ for sign languages such as ASL, Auslan and BritishSign Language is unclear. While there are clearly documented differencesacross the US and Australia in how particular signs are produced, I’ve not yet seen anyevidence yet that native signers can tell WHERE someone is from in the US, Australiaor the UK based on the way they produce specific phonological features ofsigns alone. We’ve plenty of evidence of regional dialect differencesbased on lexical differences, but not accent as such. On the other hand, it isclear that second language learners produce ASL and BSL signs with an‘accent’, and there is also work on Black and White ASL which shows someinteresting sociophonetic differences between these varieties.
The most accurate report I’ve seen thus far is here: http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/news/penn-linguists-document-philadelphia-accent-american-sign-language
Adam
--
Assoc. Prof. Adam Schembri, PhD https://latrobe.academia.edu/AdamSchembriDepartment of Languages & Linguistics | La Trobe University | Melbourne (Bundoora) | Victoria |  3086 |  Australia |Tel : +61 3 9479 2887 | Twitter: @AdamCSchembri