[Slling-l] Research on eye-gaze (tracking) and/or turn taking mechanisms in signed languages

Ulrike Zeshan UZeshan at UCLAN.AC.UK
Tue Jan 13 10:27:47 UTC 2015

Hi there is related work in progress by Kang-Suk Byun and Connie de Vos at MPI in Nijmegen. An article about Other-Initiated Repair is in progress (not published yet) and it includes some observations about eye gaze behaviour with try-markers and the timing of turn-taking, based on "cross-signing" data, i.e. ad hoc improvised communication between signers who do not have any language in common. You could contact them for details.

Ulrike

From: linguists interested in signed languages [mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Robin Thompson
Sent: 13 January 2015 10:09
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: Research on eye-gaze (tracking) and/or turn taking mechanisms in signed languages

Dear Myriam,

I am not sure if this is what you want (since it is not related to turn taking)- but I have did several studies using eye-tracking for my dissertation work. Here is a list of the resulting publications if helpful:

Thompson, R.L., Emmorey, K., Kluender, R & Langdon, C. (2013). The eyes don't point: Understanding language universals through person marking in American Signed Language. Lingua. DOI=[10.1016/j.lingua.2013.10.002].
Thompson, R.L., Emmorey, K., & Kluender, R. (2009). Learning to look: The acquisition of eye gaze agreement during the production of ASL verbs. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition. 12<http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayJournal?jid=BIL&volumeId=12&bVolume=y#loc12>(4): 393-409.
Emmorey, K., Thompson, R.L., Colvin, R. (2008). Eye gaze during comprehension of American Sign Language by native and beginning signers. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 14: 237-243.
Thompson, R.L., Emmorey, K., & Kluender, R. (2006). The relationship between eye gaze and agreement in American Sign Language: An eye-tracking study. Natural Language and Linguistic Theory, 24, 571-604.
Best,
Robin

Robin Thompson, Ph.D.
Senior Birmingham Fellow