[Slling-l] References: Glossing

Zwitserlood, I.E.P. (Inge) i.zwitserlood at LET.RU.NL
Mon Jul 20 17:32:18 UTC 2015

Hi Don,

I wrote a brief article for a magazine for L2 teachers in the Netherlands about the use of glosses in NGT acquisition. Unfortunately, it is in Dutch, but still it may be of interest for you.

Zwitserlood, I. (2010) Verlos ons van de glos. Levende Talen Magazine, 2010/7. (Deliver us from the gloss. Living languages Magazine) (attached)

Best,

Inge

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: linguists interested in signed languages [mailto:SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] Namens Don Grushkin
Verzonden: zondag 19 juli 2015 19:04
Aan: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Onderwerp: References: Glossing

Hi All --

I'm back on the list -- somehow I must have gotten bounced off the list a couple years back and never noticed.  Anyway....

I'm looking for references on the problematicity of glossing, and especially in the context of teaching signed languages.  So far, I've found a few sources with a brief discussion on it by Frishberg and Slobin, but I'm looking for an in-depth discussion of the issue.  My searches so far have not yielded useful results (although I've found results that are pro-glossing, unfortunately).

Any citations or leads as to specific authors would be much appreciated.

--Don Grushkin