[Slling-l] References: Glossing

Reiner Konrad Reiner.Konrad at SIGN-LANG.UNI-HAMBURG.DE
Tue Jul 21 10:34:22 UTC 2015

Hello Don,
there is quite some more literature on using or misusing glosses in sign language research. In my dissertation you will find two chapters dealing with gloss transcription and lemmatisation:
Konrad, Reiner. 2011: Die lexikalische Struktur der Deutschen Gebärdensprache im Spiegel empirischer Fachgebärdenlexikographie. Zur Integration der Ikonizität in ein korpusbasiertes Lexikonmodell. Universität Hamburg. Tübingen: Narr.
3.6.3 Identifikation lexikalischer Einheiten: Lemmatisierung (Identification of lexical units: lemmatisation),
3.6.4 Zur Praxis der Glossentranskription (Gloss transcription in use).

Since the dissertation is in German, you will find at least the dissertational abstract in English:
Konrad, Reiner. 2013: The lexical structure of German Sign Language (DGS) in the light of empirical LSP lexicography. On how to integrate iconicity in a corpus-based lexicon model (University of Hamburg, 2011). In: Sign Language & Linguistics 16, 1, 111–118.
The close connection between ID-glosses and annotation tools like ELAN is already explained in:
Konrad, Reiner / Langer, Gabriele. 2009: Synergies between transcription and lexical database building: The case of German Sign Language (DGS). In: Mahlberg, Michaela / González-Díaz, Victorina / Smith, Catherine (eds.): Proceedings of the Corpus Linguistics Conference (CL2009). University of Liverpool, UK, 20-23 July 2009. [Online resource; URL: http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/publications/cl2009/346_FullPaper.doc].

Ehtical Issues of using glosses and the involvement of the sign language community is discussed in:
Dudis, Paul / Mathur, Gaurav / Mirus, Gene. 2009: Bringing a corpus in line with deaf communities. In: Proceedings from the “Sign Language Corpora: Linguistic Issues” Workshop 2009, University College of London. [Online resource; URL: http://www.bslcorpusproject.org/wp-content/uploads/dudismathurmirus_slcorporaworkshop.pdf]
and:
Hochgesang, Julie A. / Pascual Villanueva, Pedro / Mathur, Gaurav / Lillo-Martin, Diane. 2010: Building a Database while Considering Research Ethics in Sign Language Communities. In: Dreuw, Philippe / Efthimiou, Eleni / Hanke, Thomas / Johnston, Trevor / Martínez Ruiz, Gregorio /Schembri, Adam (eds.). LREC 2010 Workshop Proceedings. 4th Workshop on the Representation and Processing of Sign Languages: Corpora and Sign Language Technologies, 112-115. [Online resource; URL: http://www.lrec-conf.org/proceedings/lrec2010/workshops/W13.pdf].

Issues concerning linguistic analysis of sign language when using glosses ((and their inappropriateness or, once again, the danger of misuse) are discussed in:
Pizzuto, Elena / Pietrandrea, Paola. 2001: The notation of signed texts: open questions and indications for further research. In: Sign Language & Linguistics 4, 1/2, 29-43.
Pizzuto, Elena / Rossini, Paolo / Russo, Tommaso. 2006: Representing Signed Languages in Written Form. Questions that Need to be Posed. In: Vettori, Chiara (ed.): LREC 2006. 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation. Workshops Proceedings. W15. 2nd Workshop on the Representation and Processing of Sign Languages. Lexicographic Matters and Didactic Scenarios. Sunday 28th May, 2006. Genova - Italy. Paris: ELRA, 1-6.
Pizzuto, Elena A. / Chiari, Isabella / Rossini, Paolo. 2008: The representation Issue and its Multifaceted Aspects in Constructing Sign Language Corpora: Questions, Answers, Further Problems. In: Crasborn, Onno / Efthimiou, Eleni / Hanke, Thomas / Thoutenhoofd, Ernst D. / Zwitserlood, Inge (eds.): LREC 2008 Workshop Proceedings. W 25: 3rd Workshop on the Representation and Processing of Sign Languages: Construction and Exploitation of Sign Language Corpora. Paris: ELRA, 150-158. [Online resource; URL: http://www.lrec-conf.org/proceedings/lrec2008/workshops/W25_Proceedings.pdf; letzter Zugriff: 2010-09-17].
Garcia, Brigitte / Boutet, Dominique / Roch, Gaëlle. 2008: The morpho-phonetic structuring of LSF (French Sign Language). In: de Quadros, Ronice M. (ed.): Sign Lan- guages: spinning and unraveling the past, present and future. TISLR9, forty five papers and three posters from the 9th. Theoretical Issues in Sign Language Research Conference, Florianopolis, Brazil, December 2006. Editora Arara Azul. Petrópolis/RJ. Brazil, 125-139. [Online resource; URL: http://editora-arara-azul.com.br/ebooks/catalogo/complete.pdf].
Slobin, Dan I. 2008: Breaking the Molds: Signed Languages and the Nature of Human Language. In: Sign Language Studies 8, 2, 114-130.
Cuxac, Christian / Pizzuto, Elena A. 2010: Émergence, norme et variation dans les langues des signes: vers une redéfiniton notionnelle. In: Langage et société, n° 131, mars 2010, 37-53.
Best,

Reiner Konrad