[Slling-l] Veditz considered SL to be universal?

Betsy McDonald drbhmcdonald at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 2 19:53:09 UTC 2015

I believe there is a discussion of this in the new text "Sign Language Archeology"by Supalla and Clark....2015, pp 2-3 stating that educators stressed the "natural" form of all sign languages..."They believed that the natural language of signs was universal, and therefore useful to all educators, regardless of the spoken languages used."(p. 2)  and in a footnote:  "At the American School for the Deaf (ASD), for instance, books were collected in French, German, and English for faculty to read and use in their own teaching (personal communication, Gary Waite, archivist)."(p. 2).

Cheers,Betsy