[Slling-l] Veditz considered SL to be universal?

Siglinde Pape siglinde.pape at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 2 18:13:22 UTC 2015

Hello,

I recently found this statement about G. W. Veditz's discourse on the
Preservation of Sign Language:
"Veditz, like most educated people of his day, believed that sign language
used was universal - that is, that there was one sign language,
intelligible all over the world." (
https://peopleoftheeye.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/people-of-the-eye-what-does-that-mean
/)
Do you have any material that could corroborate this? (for Veditz or other
people of that time)

In this same film (at 1:40 <https://youtu.be/XITbj3NTLUQ?t=1m40s>) does
Veditz says, as Carol Padden translated it: "They [= the French Deaf] loved
him [= de l'Épée] because he was their first teacher. But they loved him
more for being the father and inventor [*sic*] of *their* beautiful sign
language."? Or is it rather an inclusive pronoun that we could translate as
"our" then?

(Maybe we should just not stick to words - after all, some people will tell
you that a language is no more than a dialect with an army and a navy...
Yet for many SL a common origin or a language contact situation can not
necessarily be assumed. Moreover I am more curious here about the
representation people have then about the linguistic truth itself.)

So I would be interested in facts showing when the switch was operated
within the Deaf community from considering the different SL as local
variants of a presumably universal SL to really different sign languages.
Any evidences or personal opinions to share?

Siglinde  P a p e

Doctorante en sciences du langage
Université Blaise Pascal / EA999
Laboratoire de Recherche sur le Langage
LRL - Maison des Sciences de l'Homme
4 rue Ledru / F-63057 Clermont-Ferrand cedex 01
Voice phone: +33 4 73 - 34 68 41
siglinde.pape at univ-bpclermont.fr
http://lrlweb.univ-bpclermont.fr/spip.php?article365
Projet (m)OOC E-SCALE
E-space Sourd de Co-Apprentissage en Langues Étrangères
deaf E-space for Signed Collaboration Abroad on
  Language E-learning
Mail, video and text-chat: contact at signescale.org
http://signescale.org

*"**E-SCALE - a free online environment where Deaf learners from France and
the US come together to practice foreign languages.*

*The E-SCALE project proposes an online learning environment aimed at Deaf
learners who wish to improve their written English and ASL (American Sign
Language) or their written French and LSF (French Sign Language).*
*The objective of the project is to encourage intercultural communication
and foreign language practice by means of collaborative exchange and
learning together with Deaf peers.**"*