SignBank Technical Support ;-)

Stuart Thiessen smt_sw at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 6 16:33:50 UTC 2002

It seems to me that in the future, you might be able to use an "installer"
program or if necessary something "homegrown" to deliver the SignBank
content to the user.  In that case, you can have the program unzip the files
and change the archive/read-only flags.  However, in this scenario,
everything is manually installed and so that becomes another step in the
process.

For today's users, who are used to the installer process, you might want to
consider investigating some kind of installer program that can do some of
this kind of housekeeping.  Another advantage to the process can also be to
detect versions of SignBank so that people don't accidentally save an old
version on top of a new version, etc.  There are a number of different ways
it could be done.  I'm just speaking to what could be done.  The specific
methods will probably depend on the operating system (Windows, Linux, Mac,
etc) and which program you choose to go with for that operating system.

While I'm "on the line", let me give a little update on our situation here.
I will be starting our first community SW workshop this Thursday night for 4
consecutive Thursdays.  I have several in the community who have become very
interested in SW.  So that is very cool!  I am also hoping that there will
be people from Des Moines Public Schools who will also investigate it.
There is some interest there.  So, that will be good.  I am planning also to
go to SIL in North Dakota this summer and am looking forward to what I will
learn there.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Thiessen