SignWriting in Peru...

Fri Jul 18 00:33:02 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 17, 2003

Dear SW List, Angus and those who speak Spanish!
Thank you for your efforts, to communicate with Juan, Angus...Your
Spanish seemed pretty good to me! Or perhaps you are using a
translation program like I do? No matter what, I believe it is clear
that Juan is asking me for a donation of printed materials in Spanish,
because he told me in several Spanish private messages, that he does
not have the money to pay for the printing of the downloaded pages from
the web - I believe he was able to download the files, but then he has
to print them to give out to Deaf people who do not own computers...and
that is where he is strapped for money...So I wrote to the Parkhursts
and I got their permission to photocopy a chapter or two for him, and I
will mail it to him...When I think of  Peru, I think of Deaf people in
the Andes mountains, with llamas beside them, wearing beautiful
colorful zarapes, using SignWriting - I wonder if Lima is really like
that? smile...

Regarding the Susan from Peru who is on our web site, she did use
SignWriting in earnest at one point, and she is Deaf. I lost contact
with her now. And Julia Palmer, an American who lived in Peru for a
decade, is now back home in Los Angeles helping her ailing mother...so
I believe she left the Deaf people in Peru all of the materials on
SignWriting, with hopes they would continue on their own...

Val ;-)