SW (DOS) digital dictionary and beyond, in several fronts worlwide (Brazil included)

Fri Jul 18 01:42:28 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
July 17, 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 02:58 PM, Fernando Capovilla wrote:
> With respect to the 19 volume paper encyclopedia, I am glad to inform
> that it is almost ready. I am concluding 11 chapters (300 pages each)
> describing the instruments we have developed and the data resulting
> from them on reading, spelling and sign language development by 2,000
> 6-45 year old Brazilian deaf students. As soon as they are finished,
> the encyclopedia will eb released. That sort of cognitive and language
> mapping will serve us as a baseline, which will make possible to
> ascertain precisely the future impacts of the introduction of teaching
> technologies, based on our encyclopedia, on our sign retrieval
> software, and, should God grant us this opportunity, on everyone ±±
> beloved SignWriting, the masterpiece of your life, Valerie. We are
> almost there. The initial findings with SW seem very promissing. But
> the real impact on linguistic and metalinguistic skills remain to be
> ascertained in precisely controlled experiments, and all the new
> instruments will help with that.

Wonderful - you are testing SignWriting with 2000 Deaf people in Sao
Paulo? Please inform us of your results someday!

> We are very glad with the important work of Antonio Carlos and his
> crew in Pelotas, and we are certain that sooner or later, all the
> different progresses will converge. His SW-Edit that permits creating
> SignWriting dictionaries inside computers with his new SWML format is
> a great achievement, and may contribute to SW in a very important way.

I agree! Antonio Carlos has done so much for SignWriting, and has
dedicated his work to its development...We have worked together since
1996...Because of his encourgement, Marianne Stumpf is teaching
SignWriting to Deaf children...I feel honored to work with such
brilliant people as the three of you...

> Everybody working in parallel in Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre, Pelotas, Rio
> de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, and other important Brazilian cities, will
> keep on preparing a brighter future to deaf kids with the help of SW.

Yes..working in parallel is fine...although sharing your research is
important too. Are there SignWriting projects in Rio de Janeiro and
Belo Horizonte too?

Here is an attached GIF showing one of Marianne's Deaf
students...notice how they have developed games in SignWriting on
little cards...

     http://gmc.ucpel.tche.br/signwriting/

Many blessings - Val ;-)