[sw-l] SWISS-FRENCH: Sign for Swiss-French Sign Language?

Mon Oct 4 17:16:13 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 4, 2004

On Oct 3, 2004, at 1:00 PM, Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> Usually when deaf persons of the french speaking part of Switzerland
> speak of their language... they just spell "LSF" which means french
> sign language ... it's usually when they have to explain that it's not
> the same language used in France that they specify "LSF- Suisse
> romande" (romande" being the word for "french speaking part of")
> I'll ask the group when we meet on the 30th of october to be sure...
> I'll  write down "romand" fro you on signPuddle very soon!

--------------

Hello Everyone, and Anne-Claude!
This is very interesting. I bet Romande was the name of the Prince-dom,
or little country, that existed before Switzerland became one country
with three spoken languages? Was there a Prince Romande way back in
history?...Europe has such a rich history ;-))

And I bet there is a special flag just for the French-speaking Romande
region of Switzerland, stemming back to the time when it was a separate
government, probably back in the year 500? just guessing...smile...

Anyway, notice this icon for your SignPuddle that I have right now on
this web page (see attached)...

http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

It is the flag for Switzerland with the sign for Switzerland, but it
does not differentiate between French-speaking and German-speaking
regions...so we could use your regional flags and sign-names if you
wish...