SignWriting in Denmark

Mon Jul 11 13:57:45 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
July 11, 2005

Dear SW List, Katrien, Tomas and Ingvild -
Wonderful to hear about Wendy Lewis, who was very kind to me years
ago in Denmark. And I see they changed the name of their
organization...KC used to stand for Kommunikations Center, which had
a full name of Doeves Center for Total Kommunikation (The Deaf's
Center For Total Communication) so thanks for informing me of the new
name!

 From 1982-1988, SignWriting was used extensively in Denmark, and
they were using it to write real Danish Sign Language and in a few
classrooms the idea was to make written DSL equal to written
Danish...and their publications at that time were quite amazing and I
cherish them as historic publications. But times have changed. They
still use SignWriting, but not as officially as before...it varies
from teacher to teacher.

Tomas, if you can, I would suggest meeting Bente Sparrevohn, a
teacher of Deaf children who, in the early 1980's, was the most
skilled at writing DSL storytelling in SignWriting from video...Her
transcription work was outstanding and I am hoping to post her
documents on our web sites someday, but I have to write to her and
others for permissions etc and have not gotten to it...Bente and her
colleagues also wrote a wonderful report on their work in the 1980s
about how that used SignWriting extensively...

http://www.signwriting.org/forums/research/rese002.html

In Denmark they write differently than we do today. They chose to
stay with using the full stick figure...Here is information about the
Danish style of SignWriting...

http://www.signwriting.org/library/history/hist008.html