Ethiopian Manual Alphabet(EMA)

eyasu tamene eyasuh at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 25 08:05:20 UTC 2005

Dearest Val,

It is realy rewarding being one of the members in your list.
Infact Ethiopian Manual alphabet as compared to the western one looks very complicated. A very good example might be Chinease Writing System. I think they use it effectiovely what matters is time. I expect EMS is no exception of this.

Eyasu

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting ListJuly 22, 2005

Charles and Eyasu -
I love the Ethiopian Manual Alphabet, but I can see now that I am going to have to start adding the symbols to the IMWA officially and not burden you with the job of trying to temporarily construct them...they are really quite complex and very very different than the handshapes of western signed languages...I can see that the next decade for me, will be to add all of the hand positions used in signed languages of the Middle-East and Far-East and Africa...They are different than the western handshapes and I am so glad that Eyasu joined the List to teach us about this...smile...

So I want to thank you, Charles and Eyasu, for trying so hard!! I hope you can write other signs, while you are waiting for me to add the symbols...I hope to spend the month of August adding more symbols to the IMWA, so it won't be until September, before you will have access to any of these new symbols...

Smile...But we are making progress nonetheless!

Val ;-)