[sw-l] about "hold" and "together" symbols

Barbara Pennacchi barbara.pennacchi at ISTC.CNR.IT
Wed May 11 17:44:06 UTC 2005

Hi, I have two questions about signwriting. I hope you'll be able to
clarify 'em a bit :-)

It's about the usage of two specific symbols.

The first is about the "(" symbol, used when the hands move together at
the same time. We've noticed that, in the paper version of the manual, it
is used in 2 different positions, with the curve pointing down or up. Is
there any special meaning attached to it, which didn't get explained in
the manual?

The second question regards the "~" symbol. It has two meanings in
different contexts: as "hold-this-hand-here" when near a handshape, or as
"sign-me-tense" (if I recall correctly) when near movement symbols. When
using it in the first way, it shoud always be placed UNDER the hand or can
it be placed above? (some of my Deaf fellows placed it above the hand).
What's the best way to place the tilde to avoid any misunderstanding
(especially if the movement symbols are close by)?

Thanks and good night to everybody :-)

| Barbara Pennacchi               barbara.pennacchi (at) istc.cnr.it |
|                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
|         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
|                  V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia                  |
|                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |