[sw-l] signtext

Nancy Emery nemery at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed May 11 20:18:06 UTC 2005

Hi Steven -

I do understand you are working on MANY things at once - and they are quite
amazing and appreciated!

So if you don't have time for SignText at the moment, that's understandable
- but like Val said, don't assume it wouldn't get used.  I had just been
thinking I should try it to see if it would be an improvement over taking
screen shots of Sign Writer Java and embedding them in Word documents, which
I tried before.

Is there any way to use Signmaker to create a sign for one-time use without
saving it to a dictionary, or is it possible yet to copy and then tinker
with signs in dictionaries - not size and color, but adding facial
expressions, or altering movement arrows, say?  When transcribing videos,
sometimes between the face and both hands there is a lot more going on than
just one sign (or, the sign is not in "citation" dictionary form).  The
whole construction might be a one-time thing, not something to save to a
dictionary, but still something that sign writing is such a great notation
system for transcribing.  Maybe that is the job of the updated SignWriter
Java eventually....

Nancy