writing multi-party conversation

Mon Aug 7 15:09:38 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
August 7, 2006

Look at this web page:

http://www.dancewriting.org/about/what/dw0007.html

It shows DanceWriting for group dance. Many dancers are dancing on
stage, and they touch each other. Each dancer is written on a
separate 5-lined staff. We gave each dancer a number. Look at the
bottom. See the Box with the little triangles? Those show you the
dancers on stage, and each dancer has a number...

Look back up in the writing of each dancer's movements...they are
reaching out towards each other...you can see little numbers next to
touch-contact stars...near their hands...that shows which dancer they
are contacting...

1 is contacting 5, and 5 is contacting 1, but 3 is contacting 5

So you can see that we did not use the Prop Symbol, but instead used
numbers and contact stars and we felt that was enough...but this
means you would still have to give each person a number, and
somewhere explain who they are...

I know you are not a DanceWriting person and I don't mean to throw
you into the Dance world...but I have been thinking of trying some of
these writing techniques for multi-party conversations in SignWriting
too, but have not had the chance to experiment with it yet...