When writing a document in SW...

Mon Aug 21 23:12:59 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
August 21, 2006

Hello Vanessa, James and Everyone!
Thanks for the question, Vanessa and before I get into the way I
personally prepare documents, I want to thank you, James for sharing
your method. What software do you use? I assume SignWriter DOS or
perhaps SignWriter Java, to write from left to right? And I guess
Snag-It must be a Windows program that captures screen captures and
turns them into documents? You certainly produce some wonderful
documents so you method is successful!

Anyway, Vanessa, in my case, I use SignText because I prefer to write
in vertical columns, because grammatically, vertical columns gives us
the chance to write with Lanes. Lanes gives a clear way of showing
the shifting of signs to the right side and to the left side of the
body, which I called Spatial Comparisons years ago in our textbooks.
Perhaps there is another linguistic term for that? I am not
sure...anyway...I believe that Lanes are important in capturing that
aspect of sign languages. SignText is the only software program I
know that makes it possible to compose sentences directly in vertical
columns using Lanes...

Here is the manual for SignText...

SignText Instruction Manual
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs3/sw0244-SignText-Instruction.pdf

The SignText Manual needs a section in the end about creating full
documents, but that is not written yet ;-)

There are two ways to mark paragraphs with vertical columns.
Regarding the software to use to prepare the layout, there are
several ones you can use too. It will take me several messages for me
to show you all this, so look for the next messages.... ;-)

Want to compose a sentence in SignText, and send it to the List for
us to read in SignWriting? Go to:

SignText Online
http://signbank.org/signpuddle/signtext/signtext.html

Complete your sentence. Click on the Options Button at the top.
Bookmark the sentence. Click on SignMail. Send the sentence to us on
the List, using SignText email...

Look forward to reading your sentences!

Val ;-)