BRAZIL Python Script that generates SVG SSS-2004( finally!)

Tue May 9 07:18:21 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
May 8, 2006

Hello Everyone!

On May 8, 2006, at 7:02 PM, Machado from Brazil wrote:
> I'm trully sorry about the delay. I was in the organising commitee
> of 7th International Free Software Forum - fisl7.0 (http://
> fisl.softwarelivre.org/7.0) held here in Porto Alegre, Brazil.

No need to apologize. Thank you for remembering us!

I am interested in the International Free Software Forum. Can we
inform the participants about our free SignWriting software, such as
SignWriter DOS, SignWriter Java, SignWriter Python, SignWriter Tiger
sources, SignPuddle, SignText and SignBank?...plus the free True Type
Fonts by Michael Everson, Stefan Woehrmann and Steve Parkhurst and
Machado? smile...Plus the free SW-Edit software and other free
programs from Brazil? smile...I bet you already did that!

> We went through a lot of work to comply in the last 10 months and I'm
> still in a frenetic email answering marathon. But (thank God and a lot
> of moisture:-) the forum was plenty successfull with 5300+
> attendees and
> 18000+ different IP video streamming clients!

Wow!! Congratulations!

> Well, about the script...
>
> ...I've found it!!!

Cool!

> Find yourselves a commented version attached. I hope it is self
> explainable. Please, be assure that I become aware of any trouble.

I wonder if it could be applied to the IMWA? The IMWA is really the
SSS-2005 and SSS-2006, except we are calling it the IMWA 1.3. I am
working on IMWA 1.4 right now.

The IMWA stands for the International Movement Writing Alphabet, and
encompasses the writing of all body movement, such as dance, sports,
mime and so forth...The symbols are the same graphics quality and the
same size as the SSS-2004, but the IMWA has more symbols...plus there
are some subtle formatting changes, like making sure they are pngs,
not gifs, and adding certain features, such as painting the hollow
palms the color white, and using a tight bounding box (no space
around the symbols) and so forth... Steve Slevinski can explain
better ...

> I also found all my 25000+ svg files from SSS2004. I could make it
> available or even send it to any of you who ask for it. But since I
> could not find  licensing/copyrigth terms of SW Symbols, I cannot
> do it
> without Valerie's permission.

Of course you have my full permission! I believe in giving the
symbols freely to the world.

The symbols are already free for download on our web sites, including
SymbolBank:

SymbolBank
http://www.MovementWriting.org/symbolbank

How should we bundle them with your script?

I am not sure that the script will be able to handle all the symbols
properly and it needs to be tested first...

Can you make such a bundle and send it to me privately, and then I
will test it first, before uploading it to our SymbolBank site...?

Regarding the free-licensing information...I would be happy to place
such a free-licensing statement on our web sites, but maybe one of
you can write it for me? I do not know the standard way that is
handled in the free software world...And then we can place all this
on our web sites...THANK YOU, Machado, for this gift as well...

In general, here are some of the points I would want to make in such
an agreement...

1. Give credit to the symbols coming from SignWriting and Sutton
Movement Writing

2. Provide contact information, including our web sites and so forth,
so people can contact us...

3. Give credit to others who are working on related software

4. Mention that Steve and Val are available for technical support,
and want the symbols to be used properly, so we are happy to help ;-)

5. The script may not convert every symbol exactly as it should, and
it needs to be tested...there may be exceptions...

6. Newly-resulting source code, that uses the symbols, should have a
free version. There can be sales of a product of course, but there
should also be a free version of the same product, so that the
SignWriting symbols are available to everyone...

Our goal is to make the symbols as free and open as using the Roman
alphabet or other writing systems...

> By the way, I suggest that all this wonderfull "stuff" should be
> available under the terms of GPL(General Public License), FDL(Free
> Documentation License) or a Free CC(Creative Commons) License.
> Prof. Rocha Costa is a great example since he and his group distribute
> SW-Edit under GNU GPL.

There we go! You know all this stuff ;-))

And I believe Steve Slevinski also knows about this...

> Any doubts about Free Software Licenses, I would be glad to answer : )

Great!

> Please, also make me know if the script is suitable to you(whoever you
> are)

Yes. I am a little worried about this....I am doubtful it can be
perfect....So just because we make it free for people to download on
the web, does not make it correct...and I don't know how to look at
the symbols from your script...I am not a programmer...so do I use an
SVG viewer, or view it in a web browser?..I just looked at your
attached file, but that did not give me the visual symbols for me to
correct...I will need to go through around 1000 symbols to see if it
is handling all the issues...so whenever you feel ready, send that
along, and send it to everyone else too at the same time...we can all
test it that way...doesn't just have to be me who does that, in fact
it is helpful to have others do it with me...

> All the best,
>
> Machado
> P.S. I'm still waiting for sf.net guys feedback about my free True
> Type
> SSS2004 font. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Wow. You have a series of True Type fonts with 25,000 SignWritig
symbols on them? smile...no kidding? And what do the sf.net guys have
to do with it? smile...I lost you on this one! ....

THANK YOU, Machado, for the script!

We are all grateful to you...and I look forward to testing it and
posting it later...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages