Embedding multi-lingual symbols in PDFs

Thu Oct 12 23:38:23 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
October 12, 2006

Hi Shane -
I run both Windows XP and Mac OS X...but that is not supposed to be
the issue here. The whole reason that Adobe developed the PDF format
over 20 years of hard work or so, is to make a completely cross-
platform document format...so the computer and the operating system
is not the point....it is embedding the special symbols in the PDF
document that matters.

If in Poland, the person who types the document in Polish, embeds
(stores) the Polish fonts inside the PDF file...it makes the PDF
larger, but it carries the symbols with it...so when I post it for
Lucyna, no matter who downloads it, from any country, using any
computer, they will be able to read the Polish symbols because they
are stored, or embedded in the PDF file.

But there is a second way to make a PDF...to NOT embed the fonts
used. Those kinds of PDFs are smaller in size, because when they are
opened they access the fonts that are installed in the operating
system on each computer and if the font is not there, in that
operating system, in substitutes the missing symbols with an
underscore...

So if Lucyna can either re-create a PDF embedding the Polish symbols,
or if I can see a screen capture of each page like a graphic so I can
see what the symbols are supposed to be in Polish, then I could re-
type the entire document with the Polish symbols on my mac and then
create a new PDF with the Polish symbols embedded...

So it is the embedding of the symbols in the PDF that matters and not
whether we are working on a PC or a Mac...smile...

So sorry to keep repeating myself - this is the frustrations of multi-
lingual work but after awhile you get used to it...Would all of you
like me to actually show you how I embed fonts in a PDF? I could
teach you how if you want...it may be useful to know how for
SignWriting's future...as you know, in both Windows XP and Mac you
can type in multiple languages now by just changing the keyboard
file...but it is creating the PDF after that that it gets complicated!

Val ;-)