SW Video Captions Receptive Expressive

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Sat Apr 14 19:32:52 UTC 2007

I agree that both are valuable depending on what the purpose of the
captioning is.

If the purpose is to mimic the video directly (for whatever reason),
then receptive makes sense.

If the purpose is to teach the regular reading of SW, then it seems to
me that it is better to stay expressive so that it matches the way we
should write. We don't want to confuse things too much.

To allow flexibility, I would propose that we develop 2 symbols that
could be something like a paragraph symbol (ΒΆ) that could precede a
change in views. When we see that "paragraph" mark at the beginning of
a text, then we know it is in receptive view. No paragraph marks at all
would mean it is by default expressive. We could have an optional
paragraph mark that indicates expressive when we have a document that
has mixed views. That keeps quotation marks as quotation marks, but
allows us to indicate views as needed. I seriously doubt that we would
tend to switch views in the middle of a paragraph, so it seems to me we
could place view switching (when needed) as a beginning paragraph
marker.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Stuart