Report from Val's Desk

Thu Apr 19 21:04:56 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 19, 2007

Hello SW List Members!

We normally have so many messages posted to our List...wonderful to
have such activity online! Someone just wrote wondering if the
Listserv was down, since there were no message...but i suspect
everyone is just busy!

I have been working behind the scenes right now...What am I doing?

1. creating a better directory for all the SignPuddle 1.5 files

2. talking behind the scenes with a Language Committee associated
with Wikimedia.

They are a very international group! The conversation went from
discussing an ASL Wikipedia, to discussing language codes, to
discussing Unicode a little, to discussing a more international
project with many signed languages...of course SignWriting can be
used for both an ASL or an international project, and I hope that
will happen, but there is a long road ahead...

I hope that Wikimedia will be interested in using our SignPuddle 1.5
site as a test area, a "proof of concept", and we could start adding
articles in an encyclopedia in signed languages online in SignPuddle
immediately, to see how it goes...

Then I hope we can write a grant to help fund a larger project...so I
am still working on this ;-)

3. I also want to change all the links on our web sites from
SignPuddle 1.0 to 1.5...

4. I will be presenting SignPuddle 1.5 to a research lab here in San
Diego I believe on May 10th...the date has not yet been firmed up,
because of the interpreter's schedules...will tell you more detail
when it is confirmed...

I know there are many old messages I have not answered and I surely
hope to get to those shortly!

Hope you all are doing well!