sw-l-digest V1 #2305

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Apr 29 15:53:53 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 29, 2007

On Apr 29, 2007, at 8:20 AM, GerardM wrote:
> We are working on RtL support.. This means that when we have top
> down support English may have to go down to .. now should that mean
> that Arab has to go up ??

grin...;-))) good question...see below....

But that is why Steve Slevinski's message is so important. As the
designer of SignPuddle, he knows a great deal about what can and
can't be done regarding the SignWriting text in vertical columns that
is exported from SignPuddle...and there may be a way to handle this
soon, without waiting for years and years to fund UNICODE development...

Did you see Steve's message just posted to the List?

We can be placing SignWriting on OmegaWiki right now I believe,
without you having to program much...because even if you have a way
to write down the page in columns, you still will need the SignPuddle
way of inputting the symbols themselves...That is why preparing the
documents on SignPuddle, and then exporting them to a format
OmegaWiki can read only makes sense. Font development does not work
for SignWriting unless we have UNICODE and that will be years from
now...

We don't want to wait for Unicode... (although we certainly support
its development too)..because we already have a way to input the
symbols...

Regarding Arabia...

There are small groups in the Arabic-related Sign Languages that are
now using SignWriting:

SignWriting in Arabia
http://www.signwriting.org/arabia/arabia.html