ISWA Thumb Standardization?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Nov 18 02:15:42 UTC 2007

Hello Stefan -
How would you lose options? You are always welcome to continue to
write just as you wish!

We are just talking about one symbolset called the ISWA...and this is
just an intellectual discussion to get a perspective on how people
feel about things...I cannot work on an island...I need people's
feedback, but there is nothing to fear....

Obviously you are always welcome to continue to use SignWriter DOS,
which will always continue to have the symbolset it has right
now...and you can write however you wish in your books and writings...

What is more, I probably won't do this...we are just talking about an
idea...the Parkhurst book changed the symbols, and it is good for me
to know how other people feel about those changes...

So the ISWA is simply the symbols that are going to be in SignPuddle,
but you could construct any kind of handshape in SignPuddle too, if
you don't like the handshapes in there right now...of course the
constructed handshapes would not sort by SSS, but still you have the
freedom to put a straight finger on a handshape instead of one at an
angle if you wish...

So no need for fear...all is well...

I am tired myself, and the idea of changing all those thumbs to match
the Parkhurst book is an exhausting idea anyway, and i am happy to
hear that Stuart feels that it looks better to have the relaxed
fingers from our original symbols...I will answer Stuart's message
next..there is a solution to the A handshape, Stuart, without me
changing all the other thumbs ;-)

Mainly just know that there is no fear to any of this...The ISWA is
not God ;-))) It is only one symbolset out of a huge system!

And I am totally pleased to realize that you chose the Sutton
handshapes in your beautiful book, Stefan...

There are several changes that the Parkhurst book put forth...and I
know you like some of them...but changing thumbs was not one of them,
so that is good for me to know...

Thanks for your feedback!

And never feel fear again...;-)

Val ;-)