ALLIGATOR Palm Facing and Direction

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Dec 3 05:41:07 UTC 2008

SignWriting List
December 2, 2008

Hello Andre!
Thank you for this message....

We are all so fortunate to have conversations like this...;-)

Years ago, in the 1980's, when I was working with the Deaf group that
wrote the SignWriter Newspaper, we created some "writing rules" or
"SignSpelling Rules" to help us...and over time, those writing
guidelines were something that we just "assumed" or "took for
granted"...we assumed them...they felt so natural to us...but these
rules were never properly written down so new writers could learn them
well...that is my fault. They should have been an active part of the
Lessons in SignWriting Textbook from the beginning, and they will be
in any future publications.

So a few years ago I finally described two of these SignSpelling rules
on the web, and I realize that may have seemed like something "new" to
some, but for me and the older writers, it was actually just recording
the way we were writing long ago...

And when I say the word "rule"...I do not mean to force anyone to do
anything...I am just trying to explain the way the system was designed
early on...

So I think, Andre, you might enjoy learning about these two
SignSpelling Rules. You can read them on the web:

SignSpelling Rule 1: Write the Position of Contact
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less063.html

SignSpelling Rule 2: Every Sign Has A Center
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less064.html

to.....

http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less074.html

Now I will answer your questions below, based on these two rules, that
have influenced our writing since the 1980's...

Andre wrote:
  I am trying to understand between a standard rule and fingers in a
real life.

Val answers:
Do we have a "standard" rule? Where did you get that name? There is no
"standard" rule that I know of...

I think the way the "fingers look in real life" is a much better
idea... and writing the "Position of Contact" is probably what you
mean when you say that...

Please see attached diagram...I have written notes near your
writing...your "Step 2s" are well written: