SignWriting on Bing

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Nov 30 15:12:32 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
November 30, 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 2:32 AM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> When you post on the Internet, is there a code that identifies a
> text as ASL or better even as SignWriting ? It is one of the easiest
> and more obvious ways of helping search engines.. All that it takes
> is including a code as meta data in the document.
> Thanks, Gerard

Hello Gerard!
At the moment, we are not there yet. Of course we post documents
written in ASL or any other sign language all the time...literally
hundreds if not thousands have already been posted by me, in our
SignWriting Archives, and by others of course, and all those documents
are in PDF format, so the directories grab the spoken language
information in the PDF used to give the PDF a title, and so it is
listed in Google...we are posting documents in written sign languages,
but using spoken languages to list the titles in the internet
directories...

Google is in many countries and languages...so in time, when we are
ready, i had planned to ask them to help us make written sign
languages available in the titles of the Google listings...just
haven't gotten there yet...

Google, I understand, is around 80 per cent of the directory usage in
the world, so I would love to work with them someday on this issue...

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help