signspelling sequence

Thu Feb 11 15:11:31 UTC 2010

Hi Honza,

We only use the sequence for sorting.  The PDF that Val previously sent
contains the guidelines for writing sequences.
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs6/sw0534-SignSpellingGuidelines-2008.pdf

People interested in animation have also looked at the sequence.
However, there are 2 issues here.  The first is to automate the creation
of the sequence.  The second is to use the sequence to help understand
the spatial spelling.

To automate the creation of the sequence, you'd need to analyze each
arrow BaseSymbol (maybe each symbol) for head and tail position.  You'd
need to fill in any assumed symbols that are not included in the
spelling, such as starting or ending handshapes.  There are several
other issues as well.

To use the sequence to understand the spatial spelling, you'd need to
match the symbols in the sequence to the symbols in the spatial
spelling.  Except where symbols are repeated, this should be straight
forward.  For repeated symbols, you'd need the same logic as was used to
automate the creation of the sequence.

So, there may be additional uses for the sequence.  My current
automation of the sequence is very simplistic.  I take the symbols used
in the spelling and sort them according to the ISWA order.  This simple
sequence would not be useful for animation or conversion.  I will
revisit the automatic creation of the sequence in the future.

Regards,
-Steve

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help