question for the way to express 'made'

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Sun Jan 10 18:53:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 18:31 +0000, Shane Gilchrist wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> sorry for my long silence!
>
> in the world of linguistics, there is an ongoing debate on the tense
> systems - one can argue that there is no future tense in the English
> language i.e. "I will work"
>
> either way, we know what we are talking about when discussing tenses /
> time markers :-)

Hi Shane!

Personally, I have a preference for dividing verb grammar into the four
categories TENSE, ASPECT, MOOD and MANNER because being able to
categorise things into broad categories and then finer categories makes
it easier for me to understand and learn languages when I'm using
grammatical works as a prop. It also makes it easier to discuss features
of language, but this depends on everybody using approximately the same
terminology.

Most grammars do just treat all verb information over and above
conjugation as "tense" (as with Charles's list of 33 English tenses),
but it's a lot easier to learn and understand stuff when it's divided
into broader and finer categories rather than a long list like that.

So I'm rather pleased with the way Sutton-Spence and Woll have done
things!

Sandy

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help