How do you write down SW symbols Š

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Mar 8 16:39:33 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
March 8, 2014

Hello André, and Charles Stefan, Cherie, and everyone -

Thanks for the great question, and all of the answers are so true and insightful…

There are three aspects to this:  1. Three Lanes for Role Shifting and storytelling   2. Writing punctuation that is actually signed (like speaking punctuation in a spoken language - like saying the word QUOTE)   3. Writing punctuation that is not signed (not spoken), but used in written literature, like periods, commas, footnote markers etc. Punctuation that has no meaning except in written literature.

1. Three Lanes for Role Shifting and storytelling
Playing different roles - one person is over on one side and the other person is over on the other side, and they are having a conversation. If that is what you are referring to, with the the numbers 1, 2 and 3 in your question below, then that is why my Deaf co-workers, the DAC members Lucinda O’Grady, Meriam Ina Schroeder and others in the 1980s, asked to write vertically in three lanes - Vertical writing really helps writing the grammar of such conversations properly in sign languages, because when a signer is telling a story, there are little weight shifts - we don’t even realize this, but automatically the narrator (storyteller) places one person on the right side of his body, and another person on the left side of his body, and the narrator of the story is in the center. When the person on the right in the story says something, then the storyteller shifts his weight just a tiny bit over to the right side, and might possibly turn his shoulder a little to look at the left side as if looking at the other person on the left - that sign or signs are placed in the Right Lane because the weight and the signs shifted over to the Right Side of the Body. Then the narrator comes back to the Center Lane, and if the person on the left responds, then the narrator shifts his body a little to the left and places the sign over to the left side in the Left Lane - so the 3 Lanes are needed to write storytelling - and Cherie’s Cat in the Hat is an excellent example of the writing of the 3 Lanes… So how do you place signs in the 3 Lanes? In SignText, there are two different ways to place signs in three Lanes…see diagram attached

More coming later today -

Val ;-)

-------