[Sw-l] A review of Formal SignWriting

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Tue Jul 23 15:18:22 UTC 2019

Hi SignWriting list,

Recently I found an interesting blog on ASL and SignWriting.  They
reviewed the Formal SignWriting standard document.  They rated the
standard a 9 out of 10.
*
https://scriblingsonasl.wordpress.com/2019/07/15/review-of-formal-signwriting/

I'll share my response later, but I'm very interested in anyone else's
review of Formal SignWriting or reactions to the review.

"draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting" is the name of the document that I
submit to the IETF every 6 months.  It defines the core components of
SignWriting text as usable data.  Formal SignWriting documents an
international standard that we can all freely use and share.

Over the past 15 years, I changed the data formats several times. Each
update required a conversion routine for the data and an internal
rewrite of some of the code.

Formal SignWriting in ASCII (FSW) was set in 2012.  It has been stable
since release and is still valuable to use.
SignWriting in Unicode (SWU) was set in 2017.  It has been stable since
release and is very valuable to use.  It is not part of the Unicode
standard, but overwrites Unicode characters and poaches Plane 4 for
Sutton SignWriting.

Unicode remains an issue till this day.  I attended several Unicode
Technical Committee (UTC) meetings and submitted several document, but I
never made any progress.  We have different ideas and concerns.

Regards,
-Steve
https://signpuddle.org