[Sw-l] Question about the direction of movement indicated by the touching contact symbol

Profo Rubens Almeida rubens.escritadesinais at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 19:33:41 UTC 2023

Hello to all SignWriting List members!

I'm here again with more questions for you...

The contact symbols: (touch, grasp, between, strike, brush and rub) are
part of the movement category, which is why in certain cases we can write
movement signals using only the touch contact symbol, without the need to
use the arrows. However, if there is a need to highlight the movement
performed by the right or left hand, it is necessary to write the arrow
corresponding to the correct hand.

In the video that I make available via the link below, I used the example
of writing the “time” sign in LIBRAS (Brazilian Sign Language) which has
movement and we generally write only with the contact symbol touching,
without using arrows. But, when we write this way, how should this writing
be read? What is the direction of movement indicated by the contact symbol
touching the writing of this sign?.

Video link:

https://youtu.be/VL0T2G5wTQI

Signed hugs!