query: checked/entering tone

Robbins Burling rburling at UMICH.EDU
Fri Sep 21 12:05:32 UTC 2012

Kristine Hildebrandt:    Since Seino v.b. mentioned my work with Garo, let
me weigh in.
      I have heard of the "entering tone" and I suppose that it is one of
the four tones of Chinese, but I have never been quite sure what the term
means.
      Garo is generally regarded as not being a tone language.  But Garo
does have a glottal stop on some syllables, and such syllables are in clear
contrast with otherwise pretty much identical syllables that lack the
glottal stop.  Glottal stops can occur on the first and third syllable of a
word, but they lose their glottlal stops on the second syllable (and
probably the 4th, but it is hard to get good and clear examples).
     More interesting, the difference between having and not having a
glottal stop is clearly cognate to a high vs. some other tone in the Boro,
Tiwa, and Rabha, all of which, like Garo, belong to the Boro-Garo subgroup
of TB.   The glottal stop is cognate to a high tone in these lgs.
All  this is explained in some detail in a monograph by U. V. Joseph and
myself:  Comparative Phonology of the Boro Garo Languages, Central Instit.
of Indian Languages, 2006.  Unfortunately this monograph is not easy to
find.  It should be available from DK agencies, the E-mail address I will
forward in another message.
      I don't know whether this has any bearing on your work.

Rob Burling